Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How I broke my Doorbell --- On Purpose

     There is nothing worse than putting a child down for a nap, in my case my granddaughter, and having somebody ring the doorbell and wake her up.   It’s fine if it’s Publishers Clearinghouse telling you that you just won $5000 a week for life, but when it’s someone who has ignored the no soliciting sign on your door and wants to sell you magazines, cookie dough, knives, or a new alarm system, it’s sometimes difficult to be pleasant.  When my children were young it used to happen all the time.  I'm older and wiser now.   I solved the problem by installing a simple on/off switch to disable our doorbell.

RANDOM DOORBELL RINGING AT NIGHT
     If you live in an established neighborhood with a bunch of teenage boys, and you like to tease them, and the result of your verbal assault on their intellect, or lack thereof, is that your doorbell often rings mysteriously at all hours of the night, then I have got something for you.   

THE MOTHER-IN-LAW EXCEPTION
     I’m told that it also works when you see your mother-in-law pulling into the driveway and you flip the switch to turn off the doorbell and then run downstairs and hide in the basement  and pretend that you are not home.  To be clear, “I was told” that it works for that, but I don’t have any personal experience in this area.  The reason is that there is a note that my wife put in my wallet, and she occasionally makes me take out and read to her.  This note says that my mother-in-law is a kind, caring, shy, and generous women, and that I should always treat her with kindness and respect.   So obviously the doorbell switch could never be used on her.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
     Most doorbells are low voltage and you can tell because the wires are tiny and thin like phone low voltage phone wiring.  If for some odd reason your doorbell uses larger wire, or you are not 100% sure what you're doing then you should consult a professional.   Please remember that I am not a professional.  If you're also not a professional you should consult one before you attempt this.  Also, leaving your doorbell disabled may not be the best idea if you live in a flood plane, live in tornado alley, you are expecting a late night drug raid by the local police department, or there is some other urgent reason why someone may want to ring your doorbell and wake you up at night.  If you decide to make this modification, THEN YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.   I won't be held responsible for any chaos that results including if the widow who lives down the street decides to bake cookies for you but you never get them because you never heard her ring the doorbell.  At our house we have resolved this issue by installing a wireless camera above the front porch with motion detection.  Whenever anyone walks on the porch we have a portable screen that beeps to let us know that someone is at the door, and it shows us who it is.  We can then decide if we want to answer the door.  That way I can have a sleeping baby and still have opportunities to eat the neighbor’s cookies, and as a bonus we never miss a visit from my mother-in-law.

Here are the steps I took to install the on/off toggle switch:

1. First I drilled a whole in the bottom of the doorbell cover which was mounted high on the wall in the hallway of the main floor.   I made sure that the hole was large enough for the switch to fit through, but small enough that I could secure it with the accompanying nut. 



2. Next I purchased a simple toggle on/off switch from Radio Shack for $3.49.  Here is a link to the switch on the Radio Shack Web Page:  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062494.  Most stores stock this switch if you don't want to wait for shipping.  Any low voltage toggle switch should work.

4. I then installed the switch by taking off the mounting screw, pushing the switch through the whole that I had drilled, and securing the switch by replacing the mounting screw on the inside of the doorbell cover.  The wood cover on our doorbell was too thick so I had to hollow out the back and make it thinner in order to get the nut on the back of the on/off toggle switch.

5. The best place to wire the on/off switch is in-line with one of the two wires that goes from your doorbell out to your doorbell button.  Usually these will be the two wires that go from the doorbell into the wall and eventually out to the doorbell button.  These are usually the two wires that go from inside your doorbell back through the wall and eventual to the button on your front porch.  Select one of these two wires, cut it, and connect each end to one of the two terminal ends on the on/off toggle switch.  I used a soldering iron to secure the connection.  When the switch is in the OFF position the doorbell can't ring because the circuit out to the switch by the front door is broken.  When it is set to the ON position then the electrical circuit is complete and the doorbell rings normally.



It's an easy and inexpensive upgrade to the doorbell, but well worth the few minutes that it takes to install it. If you try this and have any questions please feel free to contact me.

IN THE EVENT OF ANY TROUBLE
     If you try this on your own and you get it wrong, then please remember you were warned.  If you cause property damage, miss an important visitor, get in trouble, miss out on a neighbor bearing delicious gifts, or you forget the note in your wallet that encourages you to be kind to your mother-in-law, then you are on your own and I would ask that you direct all of your concerns. complaints, and anger towards my Brother-In-Law Jerry who has nothing to do with this.   If you don't already know Jerry please contact me and I will send you his contact information.  (You're welcome Jerry...)

May your children, grandchildren, and shift-working family members sleep long and prosper.


Bob Edwards can be contacted by sending an email to bob@commone.com, or he can often be found in his basement hiding from his mother –in-law who can’t figure out why no one is answering the door.  This post is for entertainment purposes only.  You should not start cutting wires on your doorbell (or on anything else for that matter), unless you know what you're doing or have consulted a professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment